Monday, January 19, 2009

Drive "home" to Arusha

Well, the bus trip from Nairobi, Kenya to Arusha, Tanzania was a little. . .different. While the road has become quite familiar to me over the past few years, I was surprised to find that this highway. . .out through the bush country. . .literally in "the middle of nowhere" is under construction!

It wasn't comforting to look over the driver's shoulder to see the pavement end. Traffic was diverted off the road and onto dirt paths that wind between acacia (thorny) trees, around stumps, and between large rocks. Trouble was, it wasn't just a small stretch of road. It was kilometer after kilometer! I really don't know how long it is going to take them to actually fix and repave. I'm afraid it could take months or even years!





As long as I didn't look at the road, everything else seemed very familiar. The landscape is beautiful, in its own way. Didn't see any giraffe or other wildlife on the journey this time, though. Just lots and lots of land that looks uninhabited; but if you stop and look closely, you will see tribespeople moving about, even here in the bush.

By the time the (un-air-conditioned) bus rolled into Arusha, I'm sure I looked horrible--dusty and sweaty. None of the passengers could wait to get washed up! Though we only rode the bus for 7 hours, we looked as if we had been living in the bush for a long weekend!